I refer to the article that was published on Sunday (May 23, 2010) in the Bombay edition of The Sunday Times. The article carried some pictures of the late Ms. Sujata Survase, who was an air hostess on the ill-fated Air India Express flight IX 812 that crashed in Mangalore on Saturday morning. I had some questions to ask you with regards to use of personal pictures of Facebook user late Ms. Sujata Survase (http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=582633584&ref=ts) by Times Of India, India's largest selling newspaper.
Here is the relevant link: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=393807774036&comments#!/profile.php?id=582633584&ref=ts.
Please also refer to the Epaper link: http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Client.asp?Daily=TOIM&showST=true&login=default&pub=TOI&Enter=true&Skin=TOINEW&GZ=T&AW=1274760466421
Specific reference is drawn to pages 1 and 7 of the Bombay edition of the Sunday Times published on May 23, 2010 [article on Ms.Sujata Survase (Airhostess on flight IX812)]. On page 7 Times of India has given credit to Facebook for allowing them to use these pictures of late Ms. Sujata Survase. Please find attached the pictures for your ready reference.
In relation to the above, I had some questions for you and was wondering if you could help me out with them:
1. Have you indeed granted permission to Times of India for publishing the personal pictures of late Ms. Sujata Survase? If yes, can you please share the same with me.
2. Which clause of the terms and conditions of Facebook requires Times of India to take permission from Facebook for use of personal pictures uploaded by its users?
3. Does Facebook own the photos that have been uploaded by users on its website?
4. Is Times of India required to seek any permission from the family members of late Ms. Sujata Survase for the use of pictures uploaded by her? Are you aware if such a permission was indeed sought? If yes, do you have a copy of the same and can you please share the same?
5. Who the ‘lawful owner’ of the photos uploaded by late Ms. Sujata Survase on Facebook?
Hoping to get a positive response from you at the earliest.
@girishmallya (twitter handle)