_

_

Monday, October 01, 2007

The important leap..

Its been a long time since I have been regular with my blog, need to get back in action.

I have been taking it easy during last week, as I did not want to push my legs too much. But I badly needed to take that leap to 60K per week mark, and did not have time to follow the 10% rule (but over a 3-4week period, it will end up being a 10% weekly increment). Followed my 20k run with a 13k run on Thursday. But, did manage to do a 20k run on Sunday, which was definitely required, in exactly 2 hours. I have recovered quite well from that run, so tomorrow should not be too difficult. Hopefully I should be able to do three 13k runs during the week, followed by a 25k run on Sunday.

The next target would be to do some back to back long runs, say 13k on saturday followed by 30k on Sunday. But this will take some time...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

why does your blog require my email id and your email id for me to post a comment. can you disable that? BTW, dude, please stick to the 10% rule. Increase your load slowly- your shin and calves are muscles attached to bones via tendons - they can get microtears and it can develope into a long term problem like bursitis or tendonitis. It's ok that you want to push yor parameters, but do it with discipline and respect for your body- it's an incredible machine but like any machine, it needs to be run with care or it'll rebel. Slow and steady hon, slow and steady. If there's suddenly too much demand on the muscles, they'll actually contract in response to the Golgi apparatus which is sending your brain the signal that the muscle is being damaged- and a contracted muscle isn't a runner's friend. Also are you doing some kind of gentle stretching? (no ballistic stretching or 'power' yoga please!)

@GirishMallya said...

Thanks DG, I have posted your comment. you can just click on other and post the comment.
Trust me, I have been running for the last 5 odd years, so am very careful about not pushing my body beyond reasonable limits. and at the first signs of any discomfort, I take a break or take it easy. I have been through my share of injuries, and am more worried about core muscle injuries than shin and calf problems.

Monica said...

Hey Girish,

I run with RFL in Bangalore & was googling the Bangalore ultra and chanced upon your comment at tanvir kazmi's blog & followed the trail here. Since you had the Bangalore ultra on your calendar, i figured, i should let you know, the official website is up - www.bangaloreultra.com & registrations are on. figured also that, updating you on progress is actually not being nosy but a good thing.

@GirishMallya said...

Sure thing monica. I am preparing for it and have two other friends who will also be doing the 78K run, and one of them happens to be a blore based RFL runner.
Thanks, appreciate your help. Looking forward to meeting you at the Ultra.

Monica said...

Let me guess.. Nagaraj? (saw you'd a post on the Great Tibetan & he's the only one from Bangalore who went..)

And all the best with the training; see you at Bangalore, then

@GirishMallya said...

Good guess, he has not been traceable off late, look forward to catching you at the Ultra, best wishes for your prep.