_

_

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Interesting sunday run....

I had a good run, which was pretty similar to last Sundays run. The pain/stiffness was not really there after the first half hour and had a very comfortable and smooth run after that, but decided to stop at 10kms (did in 1.04hrs), as did not want to stretch my luck. But after the run in the evening it’s again feeling the same as it’s been in the last 2 weeks, still not able to figure out how to get my legs.
Since tomm is a holiday, plan to run in whatever state I am in to see if I can push things and get it right. Hope impatience won’t not get the better of me.
Had an interesting run today. I run on the main road, which has 4+4 lanes. It pretty safe as I run on the shoulder and vehicles travel at a moderate pace as there are a lot of signals to keep them in check. I have different things happening around me on most long runs. Today was no different, I had a religious procession walking on my route, they looked like Bori (a sub-sect, others are Agha khan, Sunni, Shia, etc) Muslims (in sparkling white shalwar khameez and their traditional religious cap). The procession contained primarily adult males and some kids and one of them decided to accompany me for about 100mts and after that could not keep up. But what I liked the most about this was the expression on his face and the enthusiasm on his face. This has happened to me on quite a few occasions. But the most memorable one was when a stray dog decided to run with me, he followed me for a good 8kms, initially I was a little worried and tried to get rid of him by going from one side to the other (which meant crossing 8 lanes), but the dog was focused and managed to catch up with me on the other side after an interval of 100mts. Hope atleast a few people take up running as an exercise, after seeing me run, esp. kids!
I usually never find anyone run on my route, except when it’s about a month before the Bombay marathon in Jan every year. India is yet to see the growth of road running as a sport. Though running on treadmills has now become an integral part of all Gym routines, but that is yet to spill over to the roads. Can't really blame people as the weather in most parts of India are not the best for the sport, plus the availability of mud tracks or designated running path/trails and the fact that running on concrete roads can be quite damaging on knees and joints, are a bunch of reasons for keeping them away.

No comments: