_

_

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Super run & swim..

I could not have done things better today. Started my run at 8.15am in some blistering heat (should start by 7.30 from next week) and did my targeted distance of 13.5kms in about 1hr 24mins. I did ensure that I took a gathered through the run, along with bananas before and after the run. Its very important to ensure that one replenishes carbs immediately after a run.
And then I went for my swim after a break of 30mins (not programmed or something, its just that it took me 30mins to get to the pool from where I stopped after my run).
After a good run, I had a even better swim. Managed to do 500mts which is about 20laps of my 25mts pool and thanks to the Gatorade my legs did not crampup as they would usually due to loss of body salts. The swim took some toll on the arms as I don't seem to exercise them much, but the legs actually felt much better after the swim, guess water has some therapeutic properties as well. After the swim I had a energy bar followed by some cold coffee and some more carbs to complete my eventful day.
Am pretty sure that the day India has its first international Ironman Triathalon (or atleast a mini triathalon), I would take part in it. Ironman as its popularly called includes 3.8 km swim / 180 km bike ride/ 42 km run, i.e. a marathon, these three are placed back-to-back in immediate sequence. I would need atleast a year to train for it (the toughest thing to practice would be biking, as its not really safe cycling on Bombay roads, esp. over such long distances). For more info on triathalon do visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triathalon
Ensuring that I eat immediately after my run, has helped me recover much better and faster. Esp. with the entry of energy drinks and bars in India, things have become easier, as earlier it used to be very difficult to have protein supplements after a run, which is now much easier with a energy bar. Looking forward to more such specific goodies - food supplements, am sure it will make running a more pleasurable experience, as it will help speed up recovery and also build stronger and healthier bodies.
Now the only thing I need is some good sleep in the afternoon to get completely refreshed by evening.

No comments: